3 cups chicken stock
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
¼ cup Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce
¼ cup Chinese cooking wine
1 tablespoon Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil
4 cm piece of ginger, sliced
1 red chili, sliced lengthways
1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns
600g chicken breast
Cucumber and sesame salad
1 telegraph cucumber, thinly sliced into rounds
2-3 baby radishes, thinly sliced
2-3 spring onions, finely sliced
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2-3 sticks celery, thinly sliced
1/3 cup roasted peanuts
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1-2 handfuls watercress or baby spinach
½ cup sliced mint leaves
½ cup chopped coriander
3 tablespoons Lee Kum Kee Hoisin Sauce
1 ½ tablespoons Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce
1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil
1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Place chicken stock, star anise, cinnamon stick, Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce, cooking wine, Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil, ginger, chilli, Szechuan peppercorns and chicken breasts in a medium sized pot. Add more stock if needed, so that the chicken is just covered.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until chicken is just cooked through – this will take about 8-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool in the liquid until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare all the ingredients for the salad and make the Hoisin dressing. To make the dressing combine all dressing ingredients together and mix well.
- To serve, toss all salad ingredients together with half of the Hoisin dressing. Thinly slice the chicken breasts and serve over the salad along with the remaining dressing drizzled over the top.
Tip: you can re-use the stock as a poaching liquid again. This is called a master stock. After removing the chicken, strain the stock to remove ingredients and bring to the boil, then allow to cool, before storing in the fridge to use again. Master stocks can be kept and reused for months; just add more stock and flavours as needed. The flavour of master stocks improves with age!